How to turn a long distance relationship into marriage
Long-distance relationships can be tough. Being physically apart from your partner can be challenging, and it can be hard to maintain the same level of intimacy and connection as you would if you were together in person. However, it is possible to turn a long-distance relationship into a successful, long-lasting marriage.
In this post, we will discuss the importance of communication, planning for the future, building trust and commitment, and making the transition to living together. By following these tips, you can strengthen your bond and overcome the challenges of being in a long-distance relationship.
What is a long-distance relationship?
A long-distance relationship is a romantic relationship between two people who are geographically separated from each other and are unable to see each other on a regular basis.
These relationships are challenging because the couple is unable to be physically together and must rely on other forms of communication, such as phone calls, text messages, and video chats, to stay connected.
Long-distance relationships sometimes can be difficult to maintain because of the lack of physical intimacy and the need to trust and communicate effectively with your partner. However, with commitment and effort, it is possible to have a successful and fulfilling long-distance relationship.
Challenges of a long-distance relationship
Long-distance relationships in some cases can be difficult to navigate, as they come with a unique set of challenges that may not be present in relationships where the couple is able to see each other on a regular basis. Here are some common challenges that long-distance relationships face:
- Communication: To most people staying connected with their partner when they are physically apart is usually a big challenge. Most times maintaining the same level of communication and intimacy that you would have if you were together in person can be a herculean task if care is not taken. in order for your relationship to survive you need to make an effort to stay in touch regularly and find ways to communicate effectively, such as through phone calls, video chats, and texting. Even though most times people in long-distance relationships might have too many things either work or chores that get in the way of staying in touch with their partner determining to bring out time to call or chat with the one you love will help your relationship grow stronger. I always say this no relationship can survive without communication and nobody can be too busy for the ones they love.
- Trust: Ah trust, the backbone of every strong relationship. Trust is an important component of any relationship, for any relationship to survive the test of time they must have a lock strong trust for each other, but it can be especially challenging to maintain in a long-distance relationship. When you are not able to see your partner on a regular basis, it is easy to feel like you are not fully aware of what they are doing or who they are spending time with. Of course, this is a valid reason to doubt their love for you but the truth still remains if you know who you are in a relationship with and how much they love you develop trust in their ability to not sleep around behind your back will save you a whole lot of heartache and what ifs. Because when you start doubting it strips you of the ability to love them entirely which will eventually lead to the end of your relationship. You should trust your partner and communicate openly and honestly with them to build a strong foundation of trust. Whenever you feel you are not being aware of their activities let them know about this, this is where communication comes in in a relationship.
- Lack of physical intimacy: Physical intimacy is an important part of any romantic relationship, and the lack of it may pose a significant challenge in a long-distance relationship. That does not mean that a relationship devoid of physical intimacy won’t last. It all comes down to individual differences and agreement between two lovers.it is difficult to maintain the same level of intimacy when you are not able to be physically close to your partner which is why for those who love being together with their partner it is always difficult for them to cope with a long-distance relationship.
- Time difference: If you and your partner are in different time zones, it might be difficult to find a time to communicate that works for both of you. This may eventually lead to feelings of disconnection which makes it harder to maintain the relationship.
- Jealousy: It’s natural to feel a little bit jealous from time to time in any relationship, but this can be aggravated in a long-distance relationship. Of course, you have no idea who they are spending time with, who they are talking to worse who might be sleeping over in their house while you are in another country waiting for their call. This alone can be nerve-racking and most times cause irritation that blows up into constant arguments in the relationship, to avoid this, you need to communicate openly and sincerely with your partner about any feelings of jealousy you may have and work together to find ways to overcome them. Keeping your feelings secret will definitely affect the smooth flow of your relationship.
- Limited time together: In a long-distance relationship, the time that you and your partner are able to spend together is limited, since you both are separated by enormous distance, having the luxury of spending time together as you would like will be very difficult. This makes it harder to feel connected and may in some way lead to feelings of loneliness and longing.
Despite these challenges, it is possible to have a successful and fulfilling long-distance relationship.
How to turn a long distance relationship into marriage
Communication is key:
Effective communication is essential for any successful relationship, and this is especially true in a long-distance relationship. When you are physically apart from your partner, it is very challenging to maintain the same level of communication and intimacy if you were in the same geographical region. Here are some ways to effectively communicate in a long-distance relationship:
- Set aside dedicated time to talk: Always make time to connect with your partner on a regular basis. This might mean scheduling regular video chats or phone calls or setting aside specific times each day to talk.
- Use different forms of communication: There are many different ways to stay in touch with your partner when you are apart. In addition to phone calls and video chats, consider using messaging apps, social media, or even snail mail to stay connected.
- Be honest and open: In a long-distance relationship, you have to be honest and open with your partner about your feelings and needs. If something is bothering you or you need more support, don’t be afraid to bring it up. don’t keep it in your mind because it will keep piling up until it grows into irritation and resentment towards your partner.
- Communicate your love and affection: Just because you are apart doesn’t mean you can’t express your love and affection to your partner. Make an effort to let them know how much you care for them through your words and actions.
- Resolve conflicts effectively: Every relationship will have its ups and downs, and you should be able to effectively resolve conflicts when they arise. In a long-distance relationship, this may involve having difficult conversations over the phone or via video chat or finding other ways to communicate and work through problems.
Set goals and make a plan
Setting goals and making a plan is an important step in turning a long-distance relationship into a successful, long-lasting marriage.
Ways to set goals and make a plan for your relationship:
- Identify your shared goals: Talk to your partner about your shared goals for the future. This might include things like getting married, starting a family, or building a life together. Identifying these goals can help to keep you motivated and focused on building a strong, lasting relationship.
- Make a plan: Once you have identified your shared goals, it’s important to make a plan to achieve them. This might involve setting specific milestones or deadlines, making financial or logistical plans, or taking other steps to move towards your goals.
- Discuss the possibility of marriage: If marriage is a goal that you and your partner are considering, it’s pertinent to discuss the possibility openly and honestly. Talk about what marriage would mean for both of you and what it would take to make it happen.
- Be proactive: Building a strong, lasting relationship takes effort and dedication. Make an effort to stay connected and communicate regularly, and be proactive about working towards your shared goals.
Build trust and commitment
Trust and commitment are essential for any successful, long-lasting relationship. If you or your partner don’t trust each other your relationship is as good as dead especially if it’s a long-distance relationship. This is why I always advise people to maintain transparency in their relationship be it long or close range.
Ways to build trust and commitment in a long-distance relationship:
- Be honest and open: In a long-distance relationship, being honest and open with your partner about your feelings and needs cannot be overemphasized. If something is bothering you or you need more encouragement or support, don’t be afraid to bring it up so you both will talk and work towards it. By being honest and open with your partner, you can build a strong foundation of trust and mutual understanding that will stand the test of time.
- Keep your promises: In a long-distance relationship, you should try to be reliable and follow through on your commitments. If you promise to call your partner at a certain time, make sure you do so. Being dependable and keeping your promises can help you build trust and demonstrate your commitment to the relationship.
- Communicate regularly: Always stay connected and communicate regularly with your partner. Make an effort to talk to each other every day, even if it’s just for a few minutes. This will help to keep the lines of communication open and strengthen your bond.
- Make an effort to visit each other: While it may not be possible to see each other all the time, it’s important to make an effort to visit each other as often as you can. These visits help to strengthen your bond and demonstrate your commitment to the relationship.
Prepare for the transition to living together
If you are in a long-distance relationship and are considering getting married and living together, then there is a great need for you to prepare for the transition.
Here are some things to consider as you prepare to make the move:
- Find a place to live: If you are planning on moving in together, then you have to find a place to live that is convenient for both of you. This might involve finding a new place to rent or buying a home together.
- Make financial plans: Moving in together can have financial implications, so it’s vital to make a plan for how you will handle expenses and manage your money. This might involve setting a budget, discussing how you will pay for rent or a mortgage, and deciding how you will handle other expenses.
- Discuss logistics: Moving in together involves more than just finding a place to live. You both need to discuss the logistics of the move and make a plan for how you will handle things like packing, transporting your belongings, and setting up your new home.
- Prepare for the adjustment: Moving in together after being in a long-distance relationship requires an adjustment strategy. You have to be prepared for the changes that this transition will bring and be open to communicating and working through any challenges that may arise because of the move.
Take advantage of the time you have together
In a long-distance relationship, the time that you and your partner are able to spend together is limited. This makes it harder to feel connected and can lead to feelings of loneliness and the misleading thought to get physical intimacy somewhere else
Here are some ways to make the most of the time you have together:
- Make an effort to connect on a deeper level: When you are together, take the opportunity to have meaningful conversations and connect on a deeper level. This might involve talking about your hopes and dreams for the future, discussing your relationship, or simply enjoying each other’s company.
- Do things together: Just because you are in a long-distance relationship doesn’t mean you can’t share experiences. Consider doing activities together, such as watching a movie or TV show at the same time and discussing it afterwards, or cooking a meal together.
- Make the most of your time: When you are together, try to make the most of the time you have. This involves planning special outings or activities or simply taking the time to relax and enjoy each other’s company.
- Create lasting memories: Make an effort to create lasting memories together. This involves taking a trip or doing something special together which can also involve coming up with cute nicknames for each other. These memories will help to strengthen your bond and make the time you have together more meaningful.
Stay positive and supportive
Long-distance relationships can be tough at times, which is why I will always advise you to stay positive and supportive of your partner all the time. you should be each other’s support system especially when any of you needs it most. Be there for them, be their number one cheerleader and also a shoulder to cry on when the going is tough that is what will strengthen the bond you both share
ways to stay positive and support your partner in a long-distance relationship:
- Encourage and motivate each other: In a long-distance relationship, it is very easy to feel isolated and disconnected from your partner. Make an effort to encourage and motivate each other, and remind each other why you are in the relationship in the first place.
- Be there for each other: When your partner is going through a tough time, make an effort to be there for them. This might involve offering a listening ear, providing emotional support, or simply being a shoulder to lean on.
- Communicate openly and honestly: In any relationship, there is a need to communicate openly and honestly with your partner. If you are feeling down or need more support, don’t be afraid to bring it up.
- Find ways to make each other laugh: Laughter can be a great way to lighten the mood and bring some positivity into your relationship. Find ways to make each other laugh, whether through jokes, funny memes, or just being silly together.
- Focus on the positives: It’s easy to get caught up in the challenges of a long-distance relationship, but don’t forget to focus on the positives as well. Remind yourself of the things you love about your partner and the reasons why you are in the relationship.
Use technology to stay together
There are many tools and platforms available that can help you stay connected with your partner when you are apart.
Here are some ways to use technology to stay connected in a long-distance relationship:
- Video chat apps: There are many video chat apps available, such as Skype, Zoom, and Google Meet, that allow you to see and talk to your partner in real time. These apps can be a great way to stay connected and feel like you are in the same room even when you are apart.
- Social media: Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter can be a great way to stay in touch with your partner. You can share updates, photos, and messages with each other and feel connected even when you are apart.
- Messaging apps: There are many messaging apps available that allow you to send text, photos, and other types of media to your partner. These apps can be a convenient way to stay in touch throughout the day and stay connected even when you can’t talk on the phone.
- Phone calls and text messages: While video chat and messaging apps are great for staying in touch, there is still something special about a phone call or text message from your partner. Make an effort to call or text each other regularly to stay connected and feel close to each other.
Make time for each other
In a long-distance relationship, it is very easy to get caught up in your own life and forget to make time for your partner. This on its own creates an unbridgeable distance between you too which if nothing is done about it will lead to the untimely end of the relationship.
Ways to make time for each other in a long-distance relationship:
- Schedule regular video chats or phone calls: Make an effort to schedule regular video chats or phone calls with your partner. This might mean setting aside specific times each day or week to talk or simply making sure to call each other at least once a day.
- Set aside time each day or week to connect: In addition to scheduling regular video chats or phone calls, consider setting aside time each day or week to connect with your partner in other ways. This involves sending each other messages or photos, or simply taking a few minutes to catch up and check in with each other.
- Make the most of your time together: When you are able to be together in person, make the most of the time you have. Take time to enjoy each other’s company, have meaningful conversations, and connect on a deeper level.
- Plan special outings or activities: When you are together, consider planning special outings or activities that will allow you to spend quality time together. This includes going on a date, taking a trip, or doing something special together.
Send each other thoughtful gifts and care packages
Sending your partner a thoughtful gift or care package is a great way to show them how much you love and care about them this helps you both to stay connected when you are apart. Here are some ideas for sending your partner a thoughtful gift or care package:
- Send their favourite treats: Consider sending your partner a care package with their favourite treats or snacks. This includes things like their favourite candy or snack, a bottle of their favourite wine or beer, or a bag of their favourite coffee or tea.
- Send a small gift: A small gift can be a thoughtful way to show your partner how much you care. This might be something as simple as a book or movie that you think they would enjoy, or a piece of jewellery or other accessories.
- Send a handwritten note: A handwritten note can be a simple but meaningful way to let your partner know that you are thinking of them. Consider sending a note along with your gift or care package, or even sending a handwritten letter through snail mail.
- Customize your gift or care package: To make your gift or care package extra special, consider customizing it to your partner’s interests or preferences. This might involve selecting items that you know they will love or including a personalized message or note.
Find ways to share experiences
Being in a long-distance relationship is challenging enough so it’s pertinent to share experiences and feel connected with your partner.
Ways to share experiences in a long-distance relationship:
- Watch movies or TV shows together: Consider finding a movie or TV show that you both enjoy and watching it at the same time. You can then discuss it afterwards and share your thoughts and reactions.
- Play games together: There are many games that you can play together online, such as video games, board games, or card games. These can be a fun way to spend time together and share an experience.
- Cook a meal together: Cooking a meal together can be a fun way to share an experience even when you are apart. Consider choosing a recipe and taking turns cooking it together over video chat.
- Take a virtual tour together: There are many virtual tours available online that allow you to explore different places and landmarks from the comfort of your own home. Consider taking a virtual tour together and sharing the experience.
- Do a workout together: Exercise can be a great way to bond and stay healthy. Consider finding a workout video or routine that you can do together and encouraging each other to stay active.
Trust and respect each other’s boundaries
In any relationship, it’s vital to trust and respect each other’s boundaries. This is especially important in a long-distance relationship, where it can be easy to feel isolated and disconnected.
Ways to trust and respect each other’s boundaries in a long-distance relationship:
- Respect each other’s space: There is a need to respect each other’s need for alone time and personal space. This might involve giving your partner space when they need it or simply being mindful of how much time you spend together.
- Trust each other: Trust is an essential component of any healthy relationship. In a long-distance relationship, it is always advisable to trust your partner and give them the benefit of the doubt. If you are feeling insecure or worried about your relationship, try to communicate openly and sincerely with your partner rather than letting your doubts fester.
- Set boundaries: Always set boundaries in any relationship, and this is especially true in a long-distance relationship. Consider setting boundaries around things like how often you will talk or text, what kinds of communication are acceptable, and how much time you will spend together.
- Communicate openly and honestly: In any relationship, If you are feeling overwhelmed or need more space, don’t be afraid to bring it up. By being open and honest with each other, you can build a stronger, more respectful relationship.
Make plans to visit each other
In a long-distance relationship, it’s vital to make plans to visit each other as often as you can. Here are some things to consider when making plans to visit each other in a long-distance relationship:
- Consider the logistics: When making plans to visit each other, it’s vital to consider the logistics of the trip. This involves figuring out how you will get to each other’s location, where you will stay, and how you will get around while you are there.
- Make the most of your time: When you are together, endeavour to make the most of the time you have. Consider planning special outings or activities that will allow you to spend quality time together.
- Communicate with your partner: It’s necessary to communicate with your partner about your plans and make sure that you are both on the same page. Make sure to discuss things like when you will visit, how long you will stay, and what you will do while you are there.
- Be flexible: Long-distance relationships can be unpredictable, and you should be flexible and open to changes in your plans. If something comes up that prevents you from visiting, try to be understanding and work together to come up with a new plan.
Be sure your partner wants to get married to you
If you are in a long-distance relationship and are considering getting married, you should make sure that your partner is on board with the idea. There are a lot of things to consider and they include :
- Talk about your future plans: Before you get married, you both need to have a conversation with your partner about your future plans and goals. Make sure to discuss things like where you see yourselves living, whether you want to have children, and how you envision your life together.
- Consider your partner’s feelings: Always be mindful of your partner’s feelings and make sure that they are on board with the idea of getting married. If your partner is hesitant or unsure, it might be worth taking some time to discuss their concerns and see if you can work through them together.
- Be honest with each other: In any relationship, it’s very vital, to be honest with each other. If you are considering getting married but are unsure if your partner is ready, you should be honest about your feelings and have an open and honest conversation about where you both stand.
- Respect your partner’s decision: Ultimately, the decision to get married is a personal one and should be made by both partners. If your partner is not ready to get married or does not want to get married at all, Be sure to respect their decision and have an open and honest conversation about where to go from here.
Long-distance relationships can be challenging, but with the right strategies and a strong commitment to each other, it is possible to turn a long-distance relationship into a successful and fulfilling marriage.
By focusing on communication, setting goals and making a plan, building trust and commitment, preparing for the transition to living together, taking advantage of the time you have together, staying positive and supportive, and finding ways to share experiences, you can overcome the challenges of being in a long-distance relationship and build a strong, lasting bond with your partner.
Overall, the key to turning a long-distance relationship into a successful marriage is to be proactive about staying connected and committed to each other and to be open and honest with each other about your feelings and needs.